Monday, December 28, 2009

The market IS getting better.

Last falls Las Vegas Market surpassed our sales expectations. Well, that was all well and good but I needed to see more. I wanted repeat orders, more new customers, and to see some indications that the overall economy has some positive signs. I've seen all that happen and it appears to have legs, that is to say, the recovery appears to be underway.

I'm seeing the more expensive projects getting funded. The folks with money are tired of holding onto it and the D word hasn't been passed around in a year. Even Christmas shoppers splurged a bit more.

We're doing more shows this coming year and expect to do well. Not just get by...do well. I'm not basing this on some optimistic delusion. I see the activity and it's not regional. The only regional effect I see is that southern California doesn't seem to be doing all that well yet. But that too shall pass.

1 comment:

  1. Okay here we are the first week of 2010 and if you listen to the news the economy is going...well, it depends on who you listen to. As someone in the business of selling decor I focus on what works now. What is working for us is mid to high end decor that is unique and can't be bargained for down the street. Oh, and a good sense of design helps.
    We work with a particular retailer in L.A. which is doing gangbusters. That is definitely bucking the trend in L.A. Why are they doing well? For the reasons I mentioned above. They are selling to customers that have money, that are looking for contemporary (as in todays) design, and they want something that makes a statement. Waiting for better days is not the solution in my view. It's a matter of seeing what works today.

    ReplyDelete